[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Graham Lauder yorick_ at openoffice.org
Wed Oct 13 15:09:52 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 13 Oct 2010 23:22:31 Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as Mageia core values have been published
> (http://mageia.org/en/about/values/ ), we adjusted the artwork guidelines
> for the new identity.
>
> Thanks for all the amazing work you've already done from the very start.
>
> Now you have until october 28th 2010 to carry on and express your
> creativity.
>
> Please refer to the artwork guidelines for more information:
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=artguide
>
> Just remind that we need a logo that:
>  - can identify directly Mageia Project
>  - may symbolize one or all Mageia values
>  - does not refer to existing brand
>  - fits the guidelines mentionned on the wiki page
>
> You can now define or refine your proposal and submit it on the flickr
> gallery http://www.flickr.com/groups/mageia-art/
>
> Caroline Garlatti (Caro) will lead and coordinate the logo selection with
> the founders board and the marketing/communication teams (contact
> info at the bottom of the guidelines page).
>
> Thanks again for all the invaluable insights.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Romain

Can I request a pause on this, from a marketing POV we need to finalise
branding elements including Pallet,  a marketing plan, identifying target
markets and finish the vision and mission.  All of these will influence the
design.  Also the logo is an isolated element in the overall branding.  Any
competition should include all of these elements such as:

Color Pallet
Title Font Face
Text Font Font Face
Logo
Logo positioning and surround
Header design
Banners
Favicon
Letterheads

None of these can be designed in isolation, there is still quite a bit of work
to do before we get to this point.

However having said all that, all of the above can be worked in grayscale and
I would definitely like to see some pallet suggestions including the target
demographic the pallet is aimed at.  Also the elements in place in their
intended environment, from posters and event banners and letterheads and
stationery right down to website favicon.

cheers
GL