[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 13 18:40:48 CEST 2010

2010/10/13 Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org>:

> Can I request a pause on this, from a marketing POV we need to finalise
> branding elements including Pallet,  a marketing plan, identifying target
> markets and finish the vision and mission.  All of these will influence the
> design.  Also the logo is an isolated element in the overall branding.  Any
> competition should include all of these elements such as:

While I regard this careful "step-by-step" approach as the right way
to face the task I still am not in the same boat regarding this
"target market" restriction. It is a restriction because selecting one
target automaticlly de-selects everything else. Of course you can't
please everybody so the logo will definitely not draw attention of one
group while it will be perfect for other groups. But the tighter you
define a "target market", the smaller is the group you will reach with
such a selection and the larger is the group which you do not reach.

A good example was the Tux with stars in his eyes, the main symbol of
the LE2005 version of Mandrakelinux. It was meant for a special target
market (which was delighted!) and at the same time did severe damage
to the distribution because it totally missed other markets. It's an
extreme example how you can do totally wrong while thinking you are
following a "target" strategy.

--
wobo