[Mageia-discuss] Mageia logo proposals and selection

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Oct 13 19:05:02 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-13 12:40, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/13 Graham Lauder<yorick_ at openoffice.org>:
>>
>> Can I request a pause on this, from a marketing POV we need to finalise
>> branding elements including Pallet,  a marketing plan, identifying target
>> markets and finish the vision and mission.  All of these will influence the
>> design.  Also the logo is an isolated element in the overall branding.  Any
>> competition should include all of these elements such as:
>
> While I regard this careful "step-by-step" approach as the right way
> to face the task I still am not in the same boat regarding this
> "target market" restriction. It is a restriction because selecting one
> target automaticlly de-selects everything else. Of course you can't
> please everybody so the logo will definitely not draw attention of one
> group while it will be perfect for other groups. But the tighter you
> define a "target market", the smaller is the group you will reach with
> such a selection and the larger is the group which you do not reach.
>
> A good example was the Tux with stars in his eyes, the main symbol of
> the LE2005 version of Mandrakelinux. It was meant for a special target
> market (which was delighted!) and at the same time did severe damage
> to the distribution because it totally missed other markets. It's an
> extreme example how you can do totally wrong while thinking you are
> following a "target" strategy.

Hi Wolfgang:

I think Graham is trying to voice (I agree with him at this point) is
that the marketing/communications committee is working through steps
that lead to branding suggestions. We are almost done with the
groundwork and holding off a bit would help us in completing and
presenting our suggestions.

This is not a case of branding a targeted group at this point but the
overall flavour of the Mageia brand. We just need a little more time to
finalize our work. We are almost there.

Marc