[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Thu Oct 21 08:07:57 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:41:05PM +0200, Kristoffer Grundström wrote:
>For newbies I think it's a great idea to make the installer easy to understand.
>
>Therefor I'd like to suggest that the installer would function like a
>questionaire-form.
>
>For instance:
>
>Do you intend to install Mageia on a:
>What arch does your CPU have?
>And so on..........................to tailor-make the installation
>after what he/she wants it to be like.

i think the current installer already guesses some of the above

>I know it would take some time to finish it, but the result will be in
>their favour.
i am afraid a newbie wont know the 'right' answer to most of the
questions.

>When it comes to the development of the unstable version, why not do
>nightly build-isos?

are you going to host them or your own mirror?

I'd rather provide something like jigdo, so users can build their own
isos.

>That would help users to install Mageia by NOT using the netboot-iso
>or by upgrading from the stable which isn't recommended today & to see
why is not upgrading from stable to cooker not recommended?

>where there are any issues. Sometimes the netboot-iso won't install
>'cause the mirror isn't answering properly.
with the existance of multiple mirrors the installer should be able to
switch to a different one if the current one fails.

L.