[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Sun Oct 24 00:59:53 CEST 2010

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Dale Huckeby wrote:

> One problem in choosing packages is that for many a description of what
> the app does is sparse or nonexistent. And often the description is of
> the form: defoliant_2.35.rpm. Install this if you need a defoliant. When
> I see descriptions like this my first impulse is to wonder, Why did you
> even bother? Complete descriptions of what each app does, including
> explaining under what circumstances the user might or might not need it,
> would go a long way towards making noobies feel less lost. Some apps do
> an admirable job of explanation. Many don't.

I 100% agree with that and this is something that the packagers really
should do. What's the point in packaging up a great useful app, but then
saving time on the description so nobody but a few insiders use it,
because nobody know what it is for?

Even I still come across packages I have never heard of and then wonder
what they are for, immagine a newbie who doesn't really know any of the
Linux apps by name.