[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Oct 25 17:37:36 CEST 2010

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/10/24 Michael Scherer<misc at zarb.org>:
>
>> Well, writing better description is a task that do not requires
>> technical knowledge, and that any packagers could do, if people send a
>> patch.
>>
>> Since I never received anything for my own packages for this kind of
>> problem, shall I assume that my packages are fine ?
>>
> A typical case of failed communication. It has been written many times
> that package descriptions in the installer and also some in rpmdrake
> are less than they should be. What does it tell me when I look at the
> description and all I see is "an important package you should install
> it" ? But what does it do? Brew coffee?
>
> IIRC there has been a bug report about it. Too tired now to search for
> it, sorry.

Exactly.  I'm getting more and more the sense that there should be a
separate bugzilla section for documentation, which would include
packaging descriptions.
The reason for this is that the package description should (ideally) be
localised, as for other documentation.  Which is often but not usually
the case.
And essentially I see packagers working with documenters to enhance the
utility of packages.  So many times I have downloaded/installed a
package to find that it totally misses my expectations - which
reasonable documentation could have prevented.  In other cases, I have
discovered a very useful package by some comment in a forum, despite it
being in the Mandriva repository (and up to date), but with a woefully
inadequate description.

- André