[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 26 04:03:28 CEST 2010

2010/10/26 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:

> - during installation, you do not have web access. Thus, you will have a
> hardtime to really find information on what does a software. If you use
> rpmdrake, you can ask to friend, ask on forum, ask on a search engine.

You have a hard time because the description is missing. If the
description is there you don't need to ask a friend or a search
engine.

> - during installation, you do nothing except looking at installation.
> That's fine, but IMHO, it is better to have a fast installation, and
> later be able to listen to music, etc, while installing software.

This has nothing to do with the issue, let me be specific: I am
talking about individual package selection _before_ the package
installation starts.

> Then, in order to accelerate the installation for the people who do not
> select package one by one at install time ( that's IMHO the common use
> case of drakx ), part of the confort of those that does was sacrified,
> mainly because this feature is aimed to advanced users more than new
> users discovering Linux ( who would and should take the easiest road of
> keeping default selection ).

Agreed. This is an explanation and a reason I can follow :) I go to
individual selection each time I install to remove packages like most
games and all the fax packages and some more, and to add some packages
which are not marked by standard. But that's me, and I have developed
a habit there :)

Personally I think the localisation of the descriptions in rpmdrake is
a much more important thing.

--
wobo