[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:04:46 CEST 2010

On 27 October 2010 00:16, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The problem is:
> If you hide too much ("Programs with GUI") the forums are crowded with
> threads like
>  - "Install foo from the MCC"
>  - "I can't find it in the software management"
>  - "Did you set your media?"
>  - "Yes, foo is not there."
>  - "Did you change view to 'All'?"
>  - "Ah! Now I see it - very confusing!"
> There were times when such postings were more than 10 per month!
>
> If you hide too few like "All" the unexperienced user is confused. He
> will be surely confused by a list of options he hasn't any clue what
> they mean.
>
> A solution could be to
> 1. hide everything but the application packages (no matter if GUI or CLI)
> 2. Insert such a list of options but give it an "expert" tag.
> 3. The most important: make a search result visible also if the result
> is something which would be hidden otherwise.
>
> Example:
> gstreamer-plugin-devel (don't care about the name) would be hidden in
> standard view. But if the user writes "gstreamer" into the search
> field it shouold be displayed in the search result view.

What's "standard view" in this context? standard view is empty when I
open rpmdrake; or you mean when one selects a group/category from the
list on the left?

> This way we could even keep the current order with "programs with gui"
> as default. When the user no searches for 'mc' he will see it in the
> list of search results, although 'mc' would not be displayed in
> "Programs with GUI" view.

Well that's the same problem, you search for 'amarok' you'll get a lot
of packages, libs, -utils,-scripts (double that number on 64bit
installs as you'll see both x86_64 and i586 packages).

I still think a "Show more" button, however it is implemented, is a good idea...

--
Ahmad Samir