[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Wed Oct 27 18:43:08 CEST 2010

Den 2010-10-27 15:46:55 skrev Michael Scherer:
> Le mercredi 27 octobre 2010 à 09:27 -0400, Marc Paré a écrit :
> > >
> > > Maybe the packages could be visibly clearly coded by colour or simple
> > > symbols wether they are GUI, console, or "other" (libs, language files,
> > > kernel... or maybe kernel and other system essentials shoulkd have a
> > > special group)
> >
> > Using colours for categories are usually not a good idea due to some
> > users' "colour blindness". In my opinion, colour categorization should
> > never be considered.
>
> I concur.
> This is something explain in Gnome HIG
> ( http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/design-color.html ),
> and if I remember well my Human Interaction classes, colors may have
> different cultural connotations and so we should avoid to carrying too
> much information in it. But usually, the colorblind reason is enough to
> convince people :)

Good points

It can be done in a clear way without colours; i.e
o Bold for GUI
o Normal for Console
o Underlined for crucial system parts
o Italic for "other"

On top of this they may also be color coded in dark colours,
so they are nice looking for most of us, AND cleraly seen for everyone.
Example:

o Bold for GUI, dark green
o Normal for Console, dark blue
o Underlined for crucial system parts, dark red
o Italic for "other", black

But i think the colors could be chosen as mixtures so also all different kind
of colourblind people see defference in colours.
Also avoiding

( What is much harder, and i donṫ think is given much attention, is designing
icon themes, logos etc also for colour blindness, but it is mentionned in the
link you gave )