[Mageia-discuss] what aabout an automated way of doing it?

Alonso Marroquin diderisa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 00:07:22 CEST 2010

El 29/10/2010 01:56 p.m., andre999 escribió:
> Renaud MICHEL a écrit :
>> On vendredi 29 octobre 2010 at 16:50, Catalin Florin RUSSEN wrote :
>>> You cannot read the mind of an user, but you can install an agent
>>> (small
>>> app)  that register his habits, his installed, applications, his
>>> desktop
>>> parameters in a central account and reproduce them on a new install,
>>> ie.
>>> from version Mageia 2011 to Mageia 2012 :)
>> Desktop and other applications configuration are stored in the user's
>> home
>> directory, so if you have a separate /home partition (which mandriva
>> does by
>> default, I guess mageia will too), even if you re-install you won't lose
>> your configuration.
> Yes indeed.  I should have thought of that, as I have always used a
> separate /home partition.
> So that makes the idea workable, without any security risks associated
> with a remote server.
> For the first release, at least, Mageia will be generally following
> Mandriva defaults.
> And upgrades will be possible from Mandriva to Mageia.
>
>> But it is much easier to upgrade instead of doing a fresh install,
>> that will
>> keep all your installed programs (except for conflicts) and your system
>> configuration.
> Exactly.  Also much faster.
> But there are times where a clean install is advisable.
>
>> As a personal note, I don't like the idea of a daemon that would
>> register
>> what I do with my computer.
> Neither do I.  Security and privacy risks.
>
> - André

There is a tool named "recoverdrake"  from the guys of www.blogdrake.net.
it is something like that, just for one detail, work in the same version
of the distro not from olversion==>new version
in this way you can "record" everything and reproduce in a fresh install.
maybe that could be modify to work with.

--
Alonso Marroquin Molina
Dideri, S.A. de C.V.