[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 137

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Oct 30 02:48:28 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-29 15:42, andre999 a écrit :
> Dj Marian a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> So instead of guessing, or saving on the internet maybe a quick
>> question at the beginning of the install asking ´How do you rate your
>> experience with linux?´ beginner medium advanced expert... new ones
>> should get a small list to choose programs from (tested and easy to
>> use soft)... and some easy way to find what isn´t in the small list
>>
>> Dan.
>
> Interesting idea.
> This idea nicely complements something in a lot of posts - having groups
> available to select during installation, instead of or as well as
> detailed selection by package.
> Suggested groups have included young family, home office, education
> (preschool/primary/secondary/post-secondary), small business, gamer,
> developer, and many others that I can't think of for the moment.
> These groups would be overlapping, as applications like Firefox and
> OpenOffice (or one of the variants, Go-oo or LibreOffice) would probably
> be in several groups.
>
> Now during installation there are only Server and Internet user groups,
> if I remember correctly.
>
> I like the 4 levels - a lot better than only beginner/expert.
> And the small list for new users.
> And much easier to implement than guessing.
> Another advantage being that those helping (on forums, etc) would be
> able to know what exactly the user is seeing.
> Definitely worth considering. :)
>
> - André

I am more in favour of the sequence, at installation, when you get to
the point where you choose "KDE" "GNOME" "Custom", the user picks
"Custom" where she/he is presented with options for "Young Family";
SOHO; "Gaming" "Education"; "Business"; "Development"; etc. The user
could pick more than one choice that will bst suit the description of
his present preference of installation. Of course some of the packages
may appear in one or more list, but there will be no doubling of
installed packages. These options are very clear and easily
understandable by all.

Categories such as "Beginner" "Medium" "Advanced" and "Expert" are very
subjective terms. What one may consider an "Advanced" person may really
be a "Medium" user by someone else's definition and etc.

Marc