[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 2, Issue 137

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Sat Oct 30 09:19:36 CEST 2010

On 10/29/2010 05:44 PM, Dj Marian wrote:
> So instead of guessing, or saving on the internet maybe a quick question
> at the beginning of the install asking ´How do you rate your experience
> with linux?´ beginner medium advanced expert... new ones should get a
> small list to choose programs from (tested and easy to use soft)... and
> some easy way to find what isn´t in the small list

I like that too. But (not limited to this, but related to the issue of
questions asked by the installer in general):

If a question is asked, there should also be a couple of words
explaining what the consequence of different replies is. Trying to
assess alternatives to Mandriva, I have done first-time installs of a
lot of "new" distributions these last months: it is painful to be fired
at with a question where you have to make an educated guess on the
consequences and the ramifications of your reply (example: do you want
to verify your CDROM - if you say yes, you will be faced with a long
period of waiting. Some distros provide info on this question, others dont).

My recommendation: make it a principle that questions from the installer
come with a short explanation (evidently, there are exceptions).