[Mageia-discuss] "Beginner" "Medium" "Advanced" and "Expert"

George J. Walsh gjwalsh at dscvcp.org
Sat Oct 30 22:50:50 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 14:43 -0400, Hoyt Duff wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Dj Marian <djmarian4u at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > ´Categories such as "Beginner" "Medium" "Advanced" and "Expert" are very
> > subjective terms. What one may consider an "Advanced" person may really
> > be a "Medium" user by someone else's definition and etc.´
> >

> In summary, the Mandriva approach is a good compromise only in need of
> a few tweaks and the install "choices" could be made simpler since
> network servers and the like are usually in the "advanced" user
> domain.

My experience with our own servers and with those I have weaned away
from their owners' Windows dependencies tends to agree with your
thoughts. (Thank goodness my psych background helps with the trauma
counselling entailed with this task:-))

Actually, I have one tweak to suggest which underlines your comments
about duplicity in services (multiple editors. mp3 players and so
forth.) Much of this can be reduced by employing a much stricter
demarcation between GNOME and KDE. Since we do not use KDE we
automatically search for 'kde' in MCC and remove packages it finds as
part of our general install protocol. If the user does NOT install KDE,
only GNOME, then why should kde packages be installed anyway - some 80
or so the last time we went through this? Some of this has been made
very apparent with the current upgrading of python services.

George

--
"All that is impossible remains to be accomplished."  - Jonathan Franzen