[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Oct 31 16:21:06 CET 2010

Le 2010-10-31 10:58, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :
> Op vrijdag 29 oktober 2010 21:35:58 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
>> 2010/10/29 andre999<andr55 at laposte.net>:
>>> In other words, nothing focused on bandwidth-restricted users.
>>> Unless, of course, they get the DVD (or CD) without downloading it
>>> themselves.
>>> Which brings to mind the idea of shipping or otherwise distributing
>>> ready-written DVDs and live CDs.  And why not a live DVD ?
>>
>> That's what the communities have been doing all the time. Example: the
>> German community has an offer for such people to ask for a dvd,
>> somebody will burn the dvd and send it to him via snail mail and he
>> will pay (voluntarily) 5 Euros as donation to the community. As I
>> learned, a similar offer is on in other communites as well. No problem
>> to continue this way, /me thinks.
>
> We should have some kind of way to assure people that some of the "community
> regional CDs generated by some communities themselves" are "official"; and some
> process of generating and someone from the release/security team who can
> validate the generated community ISO.
>
> do we actually have a release/security team?
>
> a team with people who will build ISO's/ validate community ISO's; handle
> security updates; etc... ?
>
> we should, imho.
>
> Maarten

I think we should just keep it simple and trust that our communities are
publishing the correct official versions. I would suspect that we are
more interested in spreading the use of Mageia than in having to tell
people to wait for a certified disk. As a general rule in retailing: "If
your client is in the store looking for an item, if you have convinced
him/her of that item, if the client leaves the store, the likelihood of
having that client come back are very slim." In other words, if someone
asks for a CD from a community, if they have to wait too long, we will
lose our chances at keeping that new user.

I, myself, would feel confident that the Communities would be dispensing
the Mageia product in good faith.

Marc