[Mageia-discuss] A suggestion regarding community organization.

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:13:14 CET 2011

2011/1/18 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:

> We have no specific plan about this yet (first major goal is to have
> our release process up and done). Who knows, maybe the association
> will have the means or the strategy to grow and employ people or to
> fund a separate for-profit entity - that's fun & tricky but that's not
> the focus for now anyway.

Being a part of a cooperative means not only to benefit from this
cooperative, in the first place it means delivering something the
cooperative can use/need, otherwise such a relation would be
meaningless. But this could/would influence the development of the
distribution, something which can steer the whole project into a
conflict which nobody needs.

IMHO one of the major points in this issue is to keep the association
and any commercial activities apart.

Future options I see in individual activities. Every contributor or
groups of contributors can open a business of his/their own based on
the Mageia distribution (additional software solutions, consulting,
etc.) and then "give back" to the Association in general or even
employ one or more of the contributors of Mageia. But the Association
itself has to keep clear of any commercial activities. Otherwise we
could soon be back at that point we all left behind: making decisions
about the distribution forced by business.

You may call me paranoid, no problem.

--
wobo