[Mageia-discuss] First impressions

Thomas Backlund tmb at iki.fi
Tue Feb 15 22:01:21 CET 2011

Maarten Vanraes skrev 15.2.2011 22:34:
> These are my own very conchise first impressions:
>

> - no btrfs? (except in advanced setup)

I think we can enable support for btrfs in standard setup
(but I dont think we should go for it as default yet...)

> - core media
> This screen was never clear to me, and i never selected it, however, perhaps
> for iso installation, a mirror repository should be automatically there and
> selected by default? so that if there's updates, they can already be used
> during installation... ? WDYT?

Well, that page is to give the user the choice to add a mirror repo if
she/she wants it, but not forcing it...

> - i selected HTTP and it installed a few packages so i could enable networking
> (2min)
> - the partition step kept being highlighted, even when i was configuring
> network...
> - http://distrib-
> coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64 didn't seem to
> work when configuring additional media

It might have been overloaded, so no free download slots...

> - KDE choice (very funny artwork :-D )
> - installing (5min)
> - when configuring, wizard said my password was trivial to guess, even though i
> had letter and digits in it with total length 8

A good pasword should contain a mix of atleast 3 of theese:
- lower-case characters
- upper-case characters
- numbers
- special characters

and preferably >=10 characters

> - perhaps the iso media should be removed after installation and when updated
> media are installed? it keeps requesting for the DVD...

That would mean getting network traffic, even if you have it on the iso.
And the user can always change it in the media manager

> - vim didn't show a color scheme for /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg .
> - trying to update with urpmi --auto-select showed me that i had an orphaned
> package ? kernel-desktop-devel ? odd...

urpmi orphans detection isn't perfect yet...

> logs vbox3 guest: (vbox3 is still in 2010.2, so perhaps we should have vbox3
> compatibility?)

vbox 4 is in 2010.2 backports

--
Thomas