[Mageia-discuss] Fwd: Sound in Mageia?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 9 13:13:17 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 08/03/11 19:18 did gyre and gimble:
> Op dinsdag 08 maart 2011 13:38:36 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
>> 2011/3/8 Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie>:
>>> Out of curiosity, what did you change it from and to? Can you supply the
>>> "pacmd list" output (just want to double check that the default
>>> profiles/ports are sensible on your h/w).
>>
>> I installed phonon-xine with its dependencies and then in the
>> multimedia section of the KDE configuration I put phonon-xine on top
>> of the list in the backend tab (before it showed only
>> phonon-gstreamer).
>> After that all sound applications worked (dragon, amarok, kscd, vlc,
>> firefox plugins, etc.).
>>
>> See output of "pacmd list" attached.
>
> i had a similar problem, but that was codec related of the gstreamer. on my
> machine, phonon-xine worked a lot better than phonon-gstreamer...

The downside generally is that phonon-xine is not developed (neither is
xine itself), full of very annoying bugs, and has terrible support for
pulseaudio. GStreamer fixes all these issues but obviously introduces
others. Personally I don't have any problem with GST, but obviously
milages varies.

FWIW, Wobo, what you changed was not "Speaker Configuration" as you
previously indicated... you changed the Phonon Backend. So my reasons
for asking the question no longer apply, which is good :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie