[Mageia-discuss] error with Release 1 installer

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Sat Jun 4 12:17:30 CEST 2011

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 08:00:03 PM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
> > Why upgrade?  Only so that the DVD is the basis of the system.
>
> I don't understand what you are doing... What do you mean by the DVD
> being the absis of the system?

I wanted the box to be as if it had been installed from the 1 release, not
from the alpha or beta.  I have the DVD copied to local files.  To get around
this problem, I copied the i586/media directory in place of the previous one
then updated my media.  In practical terms, the system is no different.  If I
had been using the DVD, I would have kept inserting the original one (alpha 2,
I think) if required.

The device causing the trouble turned out to be an external hard drive
enclosure I keep for backups.  It has never been a problem before, including
for Mageia installation media.  I watched it try every port number from 1 to
120 3 times without success, but once, when I left it for a while, the
installation GUI had come up.

Doug.