[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Dimitrios Glentadakis dglent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:09:44 CEST 2011

Στις Σάββατο 04 Ιούνιος 2011 13:11:28 Wolfgang Bornath γράψατε:
> 1. First I want to get rid of these all-time arguments against forums:
> "A posting in the forum gets off my radar screen when I am not
> constantly monitoring the forum, while a mail in the mailing list
> stays there." and "I will see all mail topics in the list but I do not
> have the time to search all sections of the forum for unanswered/new
> posts."
>
> Both are caused by wrong handling of a forum. In the forum you can
> always view "Active topics" - you don't have to go through the whole
> forum to search for new posts, they are marked as new. You do not lose
> sight of such posts because they will only vanish to the 2nd page of
> the list of "Active topics". So where is the difference to a mailing
> list in this context?
>
> 2. Michael showed some figures. These are normal. You will get much
> less user support questions in this list than in the forum. This list
> here lives not from user support requests but from discussions about
> Mageia in general. It also lives from all the experienced people here,
> including the packagers, developpers, founders, etc.  Now what would a
> nes support mailing list have except the user support requests and a
> handful of people who care about giving support? All the other people
> who are here now, will not automatically be available in a new support
> list.
> And those who are inot user communication and support mostly are
> already in the forum.
>
> 3. History: What happened to teh MandrakeLinux mailing lists after the
> international forum was opened to everybody? The lists died away.
>
> So, in the end I am not against such a support list but I do not see
> the necessity.

Also there is the solution to follow all or part of a forum with rss.

I prefers rss as:
it does nt stress as the email,
i can follow everything,
i can click on the title to see the text if the title interesting me. In forum i have to click on a subject but it takes a lot of time to see the topic in a new page

--
Dimitrios Glentadakis