[Mageia-discuss] Forum or mailing list

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Jun 9 18:13:20 CEST 2011

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Romain d'Alverny wrote:

> > integrated in the official forum rather than separate:
> > http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/
>
> Once more, as misc suggested again yesterday, and as it has been
> replied from the beginning, you are free and welcome to join the
> sysadmin team and/or web team and/or to work to provide a patch for
> this feature, against our infrastructure.
>
> Mageia is a community thing, and it's not enough to say "it should be
> that way" to have it done. You want it, you do it, you submit it to
> review. Working prototypes have more value than ideas.

That's easy to say for you, I have zero experience with phpbb or php
programming in general, so I'm certainly not able to provide any patches
to your forum.

I suggested to use the fudforum software (which I used for the
existing forum<>ML gateway way before you even decided on forum
software) which has the ML<>forum gateway built-in so no patches would
have been needed, but the Mageia admins decided to go for phpbb instead.

That said, I will have to probably shut down my gateway since as I said
I'm not a php or database expert and I just ran into a problem with
the forum-db that I don't have the skills to solve.

If anybody wants to help me then please see the problem description
here: http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=120018&start=0

PM me with any suggestions as this would be off topic here.

Personally I'm not too fussed if I have to shut down the forum gateway,
but it would be sad for the considerable number of users that were
reading the Mageia MLs via the ML gateway forum.