[Mageia-discuss] Mageia minimal install

Maarten Vanraes maarten at rmail.be
Tue Sep 20 21:34:06 CEST 2011

Op dinsdag 20 september 2011 20:15:16 schreef Gary Montalbine:
> I was forced to return to ML2010.2 because of troubles with my HP
> printer and printing with gwenview print ass't. I have been reading
> about the hplip testing and would like to help. I installed mageia on a
> 16gb flash drive. My HP printer would not install. 400 + updates later
> my printer still would not work. It was recognized but would not print
> from libreoffice. Also the same problem I had before remained. When I
> turned the printer off mageia forced a reboot and hung up. Gwenview did
> not have print ass't. It did have plugins. When I installed mageia I was
> not given the choice of a minimal install. How can I choose what
> programs I want? I do not need 400. I want to concentrate on getting my
> printer working and printing in proper colors with print ass't. I use
> gimp and LibreOffice. I can not switch to mageia until this is resolved.
> I am willing to help test hplip and print ass't. It is a photosmart
> B209a-m. Gary

When using the DVD installer, you can choose KDE/Gnome/Other (at that point,
choose Other, you will be given a more detailed selection.

Turn off everything except for gnome or KDE depending on your choice. The
install will be over quite quickly this way.

after installation, do the full updates, and then install task-printing,
gwenview and libreoffice (maybe a firefox too) and try to find the gwenview print
assistant (don't forget to switch selection to all packages; by default, only
the ones with GUI are shown).

this way, you will have a smaller version.

after this, you will likely have to enable the updates_testing repository, and
then try to install the hplip driver. then turn off updates_testing again!
(important).

let us know if it works or not.