[Mageia-discuss] Mageia minimal install

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Tue Sep 20 22:26:39 CEST 2011

Am 20.09.2011 21:34, schrieb Maarten Vanraes:
> Op dinsdag 20 september 2011 20:15:16 schreef Gary Montalbine:
>> I was forced to return to ML2010.2 because of troubles with my HP
>> printer and printing with gwenview print ass't. I have been reading
>> about the hplip testing and would like to help. I installed mageia on a
>> 16gb flash drive. My HP printer would not install. 400 + updates later
>> my printer still would not work. It was recognized but would not print
>> from libreoffice. Also the same problem I had before remained. When I
>> turned the printer off mageia forced a reboot and hung up. Gwenview did
>> not have print ass't. It did have plugins. When I installed mageia I was
>> not given the choice of a minimal install. How can I choose what
>> programs I want? I do not need 400. I want to concentrate on getting my
>> printer working and printing in proper colors with print ass't. I use
>> gimp and LibreOffice. I can not switch to mageia until this is resolved.
>> I am willing to help test hplip and print ass't. It is a photosmart
>> B209a-m. Gary
> When using the DVD installer, you can choose KDE/Gnome/Other (at that point,
> choose Other, you will be given a more detailed selection.
>
> Turn off everything except for gnome or KDE depending on your choice. The
> install will be over quite quickly this way.
>
> after installation, do the full updates, and then install task-printing,
> gwenview and libreoffice (maybe a firefox too) and try to find the gwenview print
> assistant (don't forget to switch selection to all packages; by default, only
> the ones with GUI are shown).
>
> this way, you will have a smaller version.
>
> after this, you will likely have to enable the updates_testing repository, and
> then try to install the hplip driver. then turn off updates_testing again!
> (important).
>
> let us know if it works or not.

hplip is now available as normal update, was already validated.
Also i wouldn't install printer support packages manually,
just try to setup your printer via MCC, it should install
system-config-printer, cups, hplip and all other needed
dependencies.

If that doesn't work, try to setup your printer directly
via hp-setup. In any case, if there are problems, please
at least provide /var/log/cups/error.log