[Mageia-discuss] How to solve this problem?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Nov 8 06:46:57 CET 2011

David W. Hodgins a écrit :
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:55:25 -0400, Kristoffer Grundström
> <kristoffer.grundstrom1983 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It still doesn't help me boot the installation when I'm on the bus if I
>> have to travel a long time. Please stick to the real issue in the
>> installer & not telling me to do things on the side.
>> Every problem has its solution, so what's the Mageia-installer solution
>> then if we stick to the net install-iso?
>
> I understand the problem.  It would most commonly be encountered here,
> when using the wireless connection at a hotel, either with a click to
> agree, or a password required.
>
> The only solution I can think of, would be for the installer to include
> at least one functional web browser, with the option to start it once the
> network has been configured.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me for the license/password screen to require flash
> and java too.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Coming in a bit late, but I see a simple solution, if one adds a few
assumptions :
1) maybe only 30 minutes at a time, but will have recurring access.
2) we start with a fully working system
3) we have enough space (memory/disk/usb-key) to store a dvd image, and
whatever is necessary to make it bootable for install.
4) the dvd contains the drivers/firmware necessary for wifi, basic
video, etc.

Then we
1) Download the dvd image during the initial session.  Our fully working
connexion lets us respond to whatever connexion requirements.
2) Install from the dvd at our leisure, without accessing Internet.
3) The next time we are on the "bus", we again access Internet, to
install/update as we wish.  Our installed system lets us respond to
whatever connexion requirements.

Another approach would be to use a live cd, instead of a dvd, but the
dvd would likely give a more complete install the first time.

As Dave notes, in North America such free access would likely occur in a
hotel.
Free access also occurs here in many restaurants and downtown cores, but
I don't know if such cases would generally have license or password
restrictions for connexion.

Regards,

--
André