[Mageia-discuss] How to solve this problem?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 8 22:53:08 CET 2011

On 11/08/2011 03:18 PM, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> What thomas says here, is that the dual arch CD iso has about what
> you'll want for this, it can install a very basic system, which you
> can improve by installing more later (when your internet is working),
> or, even rescue mode (which is on that CD also) is a bit more than
> boot.iso .

Well, my interest is much less in the case on the bus than in the
ability to do wireless network installs as easily as wired ones.  And to
be able to do a full install in one pass.

> furthermore, stage2 needs to be fetched when you're doing network
> install, so it's not on boot.iso

Understood, but if the parts of stage2 needed for this can fit on
boot.iso, who cares if it's in both ?

> . and lastly, iirc the boot.iso is generated from the same code as the
> installers and livecd etc... if you want these extra functions, it'll
> need to be inside that, which would make the boot part of install CDs
> too big for anything else to fit on it.

Ah, well that's at least more sensible than NO.  But it's not
convincing.  Anything requires change, and it's no more intrusive to
modify the code generation not to put quasi-stage2 in those other places
than it is to add it to boot.iso when it's generated as a standalone.

> .. So, no. It's perfectly possible to do with with dual arch CD
> installer or the liveCD . network installs is meant for an
> installation where you have netinstall servers locally, or at least a
> stable and fast network

Yes, network install *is* meant for installation where I have a distro
mirror on my local stable and fast network.  Now tell me why I should
have to carry my laptop to the basement and plug in an ethernet cable to
do one :-)

This is about more than getting around public network HTTP prompts.
It's about enabling network install for more than the restricted wired
access we currently provide for.  The bus/hotel scenario can come along
for the ride, but it's not the sole focus.

If it is truly too painful to incluse a quasi-stage2 in boot.iso, then
how about a separate bootwifi.iso ?