[Mageia-discuss] Changing the Default wallpaper, system wide

John Balcaen mikala at mageia.org
Tue Oct 9 03:16:16 CEST 2012

2012/10/8 Johnny A. Solbu <cooker at solbu.net>:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2012 02:46, John Balcaen wrote:
>> Can you be more precise ?
>
> Sure.
> Lets say I create a new user. When he login, I wan't to have a specific wallpaper, that I choose, to be the Default wallpaper. (More specific a Star Trek themed wallpaper.)
> Meaning, I should not have to edit some file in the user's homedir in order to make it happen. it must be the Default wallpaper.
>
>> Like which desktop are you using ?
>
> I use KDE, but I'm hoping to have a solution that is not dependent on which desktop the user use. So it should work in KDE, Gnome, LXDE, IceWM.
> When the system was on Mandriva 2010.2, this worked by simply replacing the symlink /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/default.jpg.

We changed this for mageia 2 for kde at least because the creation of
default.jpg was broken (user was generally stuck to a 1024*768
resolution see mga #1309 ) so now we're letting KDE choose the
correction image resolution by providing a « complete » theme set,the
package is mageia-theme-kde-background (introduced in [1] ).
Also for KDE you can configure the « wallpapper » for each activities,
we're doing it for all in [2]
so you can simply edit
/var/lib/mageia/kde4-profiles/common/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/metadata.desktop
to set the default wallpaper you want to use.

> Perhaps I should create my own theme that can be installed from my local custom rpm repo.
> Then I need to figure out how to make this to be the default instead of the mageia theme. :-)=

cf above.

(I can't answer for GNOME/LXDE & others :/ )

[1] http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/mageia-theme/current/SPECS/mageia-theme.spec?r1=100765&r2=125698
[2] http://svnweb.mageia.org/soft/mageia-kde4-config/trunk/kde4-profiles/common/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/metadata.desktop?revision=4062&view=markup

--
Balcaen John