[Mageia-discuss] Making the serial port available to all

Alejandro López listas.apl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 09:08:16 CEST 2012

Hi Renaud,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati <
renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> I have a problem, in that whenever I want to use the USB Serial port at
> /dev/ttyUSB0 I have to log in as root.
>
> I wonder if the way to solve this is by adding a rule
> /dev/ttyUSB0 root root 777 in Mcc > Security > Settings > Permissions or is
> there another way ?
>
> I have tried to change the permissions in /dev but they always revert to
> 660
> after a time.

The devices in /dev/ are recreated with each boot. This explains why they
loose the permissions. udevd is responsible for creating them at boot time,
following some rules. You need to modify those rules. If I remember
correctly, they are located in /etc/udev/rules.d/.

HTH,
Alejandro.