[Mageia-discuss] Bootable external drive

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Wed Sep 26 05:02:56 CEST 2012

Thank you for reading this.

Over the years I've attempted to create a bootable external USB drive,
but without success. Recently I tried unetbootin which is supposed to
download and install a Linux distribution of choice and then create a
bootable disc. It all seems to work well except my laptop won't boot
from the newly created bootable external drive.

I've occasionally forgotten to unplug my e-book reader and the next time
that I start the computer I'm informed that "this is not a bootable
disc." So, the computer does detect whether an external device is
bootable or not.

My question is, how can I determine whether the external drive is indeed
bootable or not? Is there a bit that's set somewhere if it's bootable?

--
Regards,
Phil