[Mageia-discuss] Bootable external drive

John Bowden led43john at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:32:47 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 26 Sep 2012 13:02:56 Phil wrote:
> Thank you for reading this.
>
> Over the years I've attempted to create a bootable external USB drive,
> but without success. Recently I tried unetbootin which is supposed to
> download and install a Linux distribution of choice and then create a
> bootable disc. It all seems to work well except my laptop won't boot
> from the newly created bootable external drive.
>
> I've occasionally forgotten to unplug my e-book reader and the next time
> that I start the computer I'm informed that "this is not a bootable
> disc." So, the computer does detect whether an external device is
> bootable or not.
>
> My question is, how can I determine whether the external drive is indeed
> bootable or not? Is there a bit that's set somewhere if it's bootable?

As far as I know unenetbooting does not work with our iso's, its a long time
erm undocumented feature ;) you can use the DD command, there is even a DD for
widoz.
Regards John (Led43_xxx)
--
Registered Linux user number 414240

Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions and
he was going to blow them up !