[Mageia-discuss] [Poll] What are your top requirements?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jan 28 19:36:49 CET 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:13:58 +0100
Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> In https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1661 there's a
> poll running which lists all kinds of important features of a
> distribution. Unfortunately until today this poll has not received
> enough attention to draw any reasonable and remarkable information
> about the topic.
>
> The poll aims at YOU, the users of Mageia. It wants to find out your
> top 3 MUST HAVEs of a distribution - not single packages and/or
> applications but the 3 features a distribution MUST have to become or
> stay YOUR distribution.

I think that's too ambiguous. For example "good support" will mean
different things for different people (is it about adding features?
fixing bugs? answering questions? anything else?). "Stable system" is
ambiguous too: does it mean "stable" as in "does not crash", or
"stable" as in "doesn't change"?

(and let's not talk about "Modern GUI": for me Gnome 2 is as modern as
Gnome 3 and KDE 4)

So, I've answered the poll, but my real answer is the following: if I
had to use a distribution with only 3 qualities out of all these, I
would be an unhappy user.

Regards

Antoine.