[Mageia-discuss] [Poll] What are your top requirements?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 28 20:19:45 CET 2012

2012/1/28 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:13:58 +0100
> Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> In https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1661 there's a
>> poll running which lists all kinds of important features of a
>> distribution. Unfortunately until today this poll has not received
>> enough attention to draw any reasonable and remarkable information
>> about the topic.
>>
>> The poll aims at YOU, the users of Mageia. It wants to find out your
>> top 3 MUST HAVEs of a distribution - not single packages and/or
>> applications but the 3 features a distribution MUST have to become or
>> stay YOUR distribution.
>
> I think that's too ambiguous. For example "good support" will mean
> different things for different people (is it about adding features?
> fixing bugs? answering questions? anything else?). "Stable system" is
> ambiguous too: does it mean "stable" as in "does not crash", or
> "stable" as in "doesn't change"?

"good support" as in "a good and living forum and mailing lists with
experienced users and members of the distributor/organisation helping
users" - in general what a normal user understands when he reads "the
distribution is well supported by ....".
"stable" wrt a distribution means to me "stable running, no crashes".
Sorry these points were not clear to you.

> (and let's not talk about "Modern GUI": for me Gnome 2 is as modern as
> Gnome 3 and KDE 4)

"modern" in this context means "opposed to the traditional GUIs".

> So, I've answered the poll, but my real answer is the following: if I
> had to use a distribution with only 3 qualities out of all these, I
> would be an unhappy user.

Looks like you did not read the initial posting where I explain what I
mean with "top requirements". Of course I could have allowed for 5 or
10 votes, but my intention is to find out the most important features
a distribution must have, otherwise you would not touch it. As you can
see, there are already very different perceptions about what is so
important for users.

--
wobo