[Mageia-discuss] [Poll] What are your top requirements?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jan 28 20:37:25 CET 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:19:45 +0100
Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> > (and let's not talk about "Modern GUI": for me Gnome 2 is as modern as
> > Gnome 3 and KDE 4)
>
> "modern" in this context means "opposed to the traditional GUIs".

"traditional" is undefined. Is Gnome 2 traditional? What about Gnustep?
And Cinnamon?

For example, I'd like to see Cinnamon in the next Mageia, not because
it's traditional or modern, but because it's for me the only reasonable
compensation for losing Gnome 2.

> > So, I've answered the poll, but my real answer is the following: if I
> > had to use a distribution with only 3 qualities out of all these, I
> > would be an unhappy user.
>
> Looks like you did not read the initial posting where I explain what I
> mean with "top requirements". Of course I could have allowed for 5 or
> 10 votes, but my intention is to find out the most important features
> a distribution must have, otherwise you would not touch it.

Well, what I'm saying is that "top requirements" is not how I function,
and I don't think it's how most users function either.

I mean, I certainly want no crashes (who wants crashes in the middle
of an editing session?) and I certainly want hardware support (otherwise
how would I use my computer?), but I also want stability, good support,
a nice community, a good choice of software, etc. I don't draw a
hierarchy of these criteria: they are *all* important.

This poll sounds like you might end up concluding "ok, our users value
features over stability, so we're gonna make a crashy distro with many
features". Surely you understand how unreasonable that is: even these
users which said they values features will still get angry about the
crashes.

Regards

Antoine.