[Mageia-discuss] [Poll] What are your top requirements?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 06:11:49 CET 2012

2012/1/28 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le samedi 28 janvier 2012 à 20:37 +0100, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:19:45 +0100
>> Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>

>> > "modern" in this context means "opposed to the traditional GUIs".
>>
>> "traditional" is undefined. Is Gnome 2 traditional? What about Gnustep?
>> And Cinnamon?
>>
>> For example, I'd like to see Cinnamon in the next Mageia, not because
>> it's traditional or modern, but because it's for me the only reasonable
>> compensation for losing Gnome 2.

>> > Looks like you did not read the initial posting where I explain what I
>> > mean with "top requirements". Of course I could have allowed for 5 or
>> > 10 votes, but my intention is to find out the most important features
>> > a distribution must have, otherwise you would not touch it.
>>
>> Well, what I'm saying is that "top requirements" is not how I function,
>> and I don't think it's how most users function either.
>>
>> I mean, I certainly want no crashes (who wants crashes in the middle
>> of an editing session?) and I certainly want hardware support (otherwise
>> how would I use my computer?), but I also want stability, good support,
>> a nice community, a good choice of software, etc. I don't draw a
>> hierarchy of these criteria: they are *all* important.
>
> The issue is that they cannot be done all at the same time.

Yes. That's why polls are made. If you can do everything at the same
time you don't need any polls at all.

> While I appreciate Wobo efforts to get meaningful numbers, I am rather
> doubtful about a few things. First, the choice of questions make me
> wonder, since my memories tell me that for doing such kind of polls, you
> first need to do preliminary research to find the options.

The questions are a result of reading user's postings for quite some years.

> There is for example various things like :
> "networking out of the box", and "good hardware recognition" that are
> the same.

Not at all. Example: my wifi hardware is recognized out of the box but
it is a drag to get it working.

> And LTS go hand to hand with "stable as top priority" ( since LTS mean
> the system do not change for a long time, and usually, once enough bugs
> are fixed, softwares are rather stable ).

Not the same.

> Not to mention that a poll may give incorrect expectation to people, and
> usually only measure a fraction of the users.

Yes, same as elections and marketing surveys.

> And more importantly, it doesn't help us on the crucial thing ( IMHO ),
> how to expend the contributeurs pool.
> I think asking "where would you want to put efforts in the next year for
> Mageia" would allow us to better see what kind of priority we should
> have to grow the community. ( followed by discussions of "why don't you
> do it now" that would help finding potential weak spots in the system ).
>
> This or asking directly, "why don't you work on $FOO". Users will come
> when we have a great product ( ie, grow naturally up to a point ). And
> product will be great with enough contribution, hence the focus on that.

This was never the goal of this poll. Why don't you start such a poll yourself?

@ALL: Thx for your opinions though I wish you'd offer these there
where the poll is and not where I merely gave a pointer to the poll.

--
wobo