[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

e-letter inpost at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 00:10:08 CET 2012

On 06/03/2012, mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org
<mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org> wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 00:47:01 +0000
> From: WALKER RICHARD <richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com>
>
> Quick answer; yes
>
> man ifconfig should get you started. From memory you can set an
> address for an ethernet card with something like;
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.22
>
> That implicitly brings up the connection.
>
> This much is already working for you as you say both PCs can reach the
> internet. So let's take a step back. I don't want you to "publish"
> your PC addresses, but if they are both on the same network then they
> should both have addresses in the private network ranges. The most
> common on routers are;
>
> 10.?.?.?
> 192.168.?.?

command terminal 'ifconfig' returns value for eth1, '192...', but not '10...'.

> Can you configure your router? Do you know if it has a web-based
> configuration address? If you haven't come across this before, this is
> a "web page" generated by your router which provides access to its
> configuration by means of forms on web pages. It is normally accessed
> by entering the address in your browser, but this cannot easily work
> if your PC and your router are on different networks, with different
> address ranges. For example, the router might be on 192.168.1.1 and
> your PC is on a.b.x.x  where a and b are NOT 192 and 168.

yes, there is a configuration address 'http://192...' accessible via
web browser.

> Let us take one more step back. When you configured your network on
> each computer (using MCC?)  did you opt for manual or automatic (via
> DHCP) configuration of the network address? That, I think, is the key
> starting point.

automatic dhcp. To check, the command 'drakconnect' was used to
activate the network configuration process; the default is automatic
ip (bootp/dchp) connection protocol

> If it is manual then you chose the addresses and typed them in. If it
> is automatic (via DHCP) then they will have been allocated by EITHER
> your router (which seems unlikely given the trouble your having) OR by
> your ISP, and that means they are permitting you to have more than one
> public address for your location AND that the address really is
> public; if I knew your address I could probe your network - that is
> potentially highly risky and is why the common practice, in these
> parts, is for each subscriber to get one public address and have the
> modem/router provide NAT for private networks on the premises.

I think the ip address is determined by the isp; if the router is
switched off and then on, a new ip address is assigned.

> I hope I haven't confused the issue. Let me re-state the important
> questions:
> 1. Are your PC addresses similar to each other?

yes, they differ by a digit

> 2. Are they in the private network range? (10.?.?.? or 192.168.?.?)

yes, 192...

> 3. Do you have the make and model of your router? (yes/no will do for now.)

yes