[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

WALKER RICHARD richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 7 00:41:02 CET 2012

OK, you have two PCs on a private network with addresses in the range
192.168.?.?.

You reported only 192.?.?.? If that is accurate then the addresses are
public, meaning if I knew what they are then I could reach them from
here.

Forgive me if I tell you things you already know. IP networks are
defined by their address. My home network, for example, has been
defined by me to occupy only addresses in the range 192.168.0.0 to
192.168.0.255. These are only 256 of the 65536 addresses available. My
network has no awareness of the possibility of other addresses because
I have not configured it. My router's configuration web address is
192.168.1.1, but that is not within my network, so even though I am
physically connected to it, its address is inaccessible to me.

Technically, my network's routing table has no information on how to
reach 192.168.1.1 and by definition (it is private, remember) there is
no way to reach it via the public network - it simply does not exist
there.

So, if your router and each of your PCs share the first two octets of
the address (192 and 168) and your network mask is 255.255.0.0 then
any address in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.253 (or
thereabouts) is valid for your network.

Let's check your network mask so we know the extent of your private
network. Use the ifconfig command in a console (you might need to be
root for this) and look for the line in the output for your eth?
interface which looks something like this;

inet addr:192.168.0.111  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

You can see on mine that the mask is 255.255.255.0 which means that
only the eight bits of the final octet can be used on my network for
unique addresses - 0 to 255. So what is your network mask?