[Mageia-discuss] Handbooks - the lot

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Sun Mar 11 13:14:04 CET 2012

Le 11/03/2012 12:14, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2012/3/11 Luc Menut<lmenut at free.fr>:

[...]
>> I don't agree. Handbooks are fully part of a kde install; they should be
>> >  installed, and shouldn't be removed. A kde install without handbooks is a
>> >  damaged kde install. Do you think that the kde doc team will continue to
>> >  work on handbooks if each distrib don't install its work?
>> >  That's why, personally I think the exact opposite; each component should
>> >  *requires*  its handbook (but probably it won't work with LiveCD).
> I don't agree. You seem to first take for granted that a user of the
> KDE desktop also uses all the applications and second you mistake
> "good to have" for "must have". I'm using KDE but only few KDE
> applications - so why do I need a handbook for kppp or knode or kmail
> when I don't even install these applications?

I agree, and that's why I said "each component should requires its
handbook", meaning kdebase4-workspace requires
kdebase4-workspace-handbooks, kmail requires kmail-handbook, ...

Currently, each component suggests its handbook (needed for LiveCD).
If we use only suggests for handbooks, the handbooks are missing on DVD
iso (because DVD iso doesn't include suggests), so that handbooks are
never installed with a DVD install, and all the kde docs will be missing
by default.
For now, I don't have a perfect solution to this problem.
To workaround this, I added a task-kde4-handbooks that REQUIRES the
handbooks for kde's components that are installed by a default mageia
kde install. I know that it's not perfect.

I'm open to a better solution, but I really want to avoid that the
handbooks are not installed on most of mageia's install.

regards,
Luc
--
Luc Menut