[Mageia-discuss] beta testing - GNOME live CD

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 21:07:30 CEST 2012

On 20/04/12 17:54, Philippe DIDIER wrote:
> Len Lawrence a écrit :
>>> Have you read the blog post, the download page or the errata ?
>>>
>>> "Please note there is a bug about LiveCDs and NVIDIA graphic cards. A
>>> workarround can be found in the Errata"
>>>
>>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Errata#LiveCD_and_Nvidia_card
>> Thanks, that was very useful.  The system displayed perfectly with the
>> nouveau driver.  But.  GNOME 3; horrible.  Cannot work with it, ever.
>> More to say on the forums.
>>
>> Len
>>
> Just try KDE beta3 liveCD : it's wonderful (after the workaround for
> nvidia graphic card problem)
> quite everything is OK
> you just need to add the repo in CCM rpmdrake and validate the non-free
> and tainted repo if you want to read multimedia files : the gstreamer
> plugins rpm and dependancies will be automagicaly downloaded
>
> never used such a good LiveCD (better than fedora, debian, opensuse !)
>
> Philippe

I suppose I ought to try KDE but have little hope of liking it.  The
couple of times I tried it in the past I felt totally lost, as I do in
GNOME 3.  My main interest is development and for a new release I would
want to make sure that I can run all my home grown ruby scripts OK
because they effectively define a big chunk of what I do and I have no
idea how to go about installing a persistent development environment in
a live CD session.  I could not see immediately how to access my hard
disk from the live CD either.

Len