[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 Experiences

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 26 16:33:03 CEST 2012

On 04/26/2012 09:41 AM, imnotpc wrote:

> Doing a default boot the system definitely locks up. Even the cap lock
> key doesn't work.

It sounds like you have one of the ATI chips which won't even work in
text mode without firmware.  Did you ever check your /boot/grub/menu.lst
for nokmsboot ?  If not, try adding it in safe mode, and then:
            cd /boot/grub
           ./install.sh
and try a default boot again.  If it still doesn't work, you've got an
ATI chip that requires KMS and the firmware, and you'll have to boot to
safe mode, remove nokmsboot, rerun ./install.sh, add the nonfree
repositories, and install the kernel-firmware-nonfree package.

> In the past I've used the net install disc and done an "upgrade" of
> the installed system. Nothing is actually installed but it does allow
> me to change some settings. Perhaps use that to uncheck the graphic
> interface box?

Worth a try.