[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 Experiences

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 27 18:49:05 CEST 2012

On 04/27/2012 12:02 PM, imnotpc wrote:

> I didn't use drakx11 but I did use drakconf->display which recognized
> the card and was able to successfully test it (this isn't necessarily
> new since the test also usually works during installation). This had
> no effect on the booting issue that I could tell.
>
> I did however get the bright idea to test x11 from the safe mode
> command line. I ran startx and it gave me a root desktop. I did ALT-F2
> and was able to start my normal user desktop from there. Video and
> sound work normally but networking is still down.
>
> If I attempt to run Network Manager or MCC->Network&Internet->Network
> Center the system locks up with a "Please wait" message.
>
> Getting safe mode to give me a command line is still iffy, but at
> least with a bit of effort I can get to my desktop. A little progress
> at least.

Arrggh.  I should have thought of this before, considering that it
afflicts my wife's Acer notebook.

In the desktop you can get via safe mode, do MCC -> Hardware -> Browse
hardware, and see if the driver for your wired NIC is atl1c, and also
what your wireless driver is.  The atl1c driver is known to cause
sporadic system freezes when used in conjunction with a number of
wireless drivers.  Having the ethernet cable actually attached "fixes" this.

I'm guessing now that your wired works during install because install
doesn't load any wireless drivers.  But once drakconnect or harddrake
looks for your wireless, the wireless driver will be loaded
automatically.  Very probably neither driver gets loaded in safe mode.

If your wired driver is atl1c, try
                       echo "blacklist atl1c" > /etc/modprobe.d/atl1c.conf
and the reboot in normal mode.  If the system stops freezing, then
you'll have to live without either wired or wireless.  On most laptops,
disabling wired most of the time really isn't a problem.  If you really
need wired on some occasion, just change the atl1c in the above
blacklist command to whatever your wireless driver is, and you should be
fine.