[Mageia-discuss] Odd entry in log file

imnotpc imnotpc at Rock3d.net
Thu May 10 03:54:19 CEST 2012

On 05/08/2012 03:33 PM, imnotpc wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 02:20 PM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> I haven't had time to run tcpdump yet but my current theory is that
> the wireless router doesn't or can't NAT certain types of packets and
> those are triggering the kernel log messages. Or perhaps it's only
> NATing packets from a host with a valid DHCP lease and simply
> forwarding anything else that comes in.

I did install and run tcpdump then I realized that the answer was under
my nose the whole time. The kernel log message gives the MAC address of
the sending and receiving interface. After all this discussion, effort,
and advice,  all I really needed to do was find the device with the
sending MAC address. Which, as we suspected, was the wireless router. I
still don't know why it doesn't NAT those particular packets, but in the
big picture it doesn't really matter since they go nowhere.

The only question I have left is can I change a setting to disable the
logging of these packets (or change their log level to debug)? There are
literally thousands of them a day cluttering the log. If I have to I can
filter them out using syslog but I'd prefer a cleaner solution.

Thanks for everyone's advice and effort.
Jeff