[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 RC - Installation from a DVD with a beginner point of sight

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Thu May 10 18:29:52 CEST 2012

Op donderdag 10 mei 2012 18:16:11 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
> 2012/5/10 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
> > Op donderdag 10 mei 2012 13:08:33 schreef Pierre Jarillon:
[...]
> >> 3- After the installation,  it should be great to have a screen saying:
> >> - you may select the sources of software and for example, unselect the
> >> CD/DVD, add the non-free, the tainted and their updates which are
> >> necessary to allow flash and mp4.
> >
> > I think it might be nice for a screen there (before updates) to select
> > cdrom (by default off), network sources (by default on) and maybe a few
> > subcheckboxes below (nonfree, tainted, backports) which could be
> > unselected by default. Possibly an advanced window here to have manual
> > selection of mirror.
>
> Not possible for people who do not have network up during installation
> (lots of wifi users).

imho the network shouldn't need to be up to select this:

this is what you'd get:

[  ] DVD
[X] Network
      [X] Updates
      [  ] Backports
      [  ] Nonfree
      [  ] Tainted

there could even be a detection that if network is down, DVD would also be
selected.

i see no reason why we should not enable network sources if there's no
network, shouldn't it fallback to the DVD then?

and people could say i deslect DVD anyway, and ok, there will be no updates
until you actually get to be online... but there's no harm in that.

of course, this has some major refactoring