[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 RC - Installation from a DVD with a beginner point of sight

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 18:51:45 CEST 2012

2012/5/10 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
> Op donderdag 10 mei 2012 18:16:11 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
>> 2012/5/10 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
>> > Op donderdag 10 mei 2012 13:08:33 schreef Pierre Jarillon:
> [...]
>> >
>> > I think it might be nice for a screen there (before updates) to select
>> > cdrom (by default off), network sources (by default on) and maybe a few
>> > subcheckboxes below (nonfree, tainted, backports) which could be
>> > unselected by default. Possibly an advanced window here to have manual
>> > selection of mirror.
>>
>> Not possible for people who do not have network up during installation
>> (lots of wifi users).
>
> imho the network shouldn't need to be up to select this:
>
> this is what you'd get:
>
> [  ] DVD
> [X] Network
>      [X] Updates
>      [  ] Backports
>      [  ] Nonfree
>      [  ] Tainted

Network must be up to download the hdlists. Otherwise you need to
change the whole system, like after reboot after installation check
continuously for network ceonnection (until success) and then download
the hdlists.
You also need a network connection to select a dedicated mirror.

> there could even be a detection that if network is down, DVD would also be
> selected.
> i see no reason why we should not enable network sources if there's no
> network, shouldn't it fallback to the DVD then?

This makes no sense because the needed packages of tainted and
non-free are not on the DVD anyway. And as soon as the user reboots he
has to unmark the DVD anyway.

Of course, everything is possible, but the question is whether it
makes sense to do such major "refactoring". The setting up of sources
is almost automatical once you rebooted your system. A popup of the
update icon will tell you that there is no sources configured yet. If
you answer with "Yes" to the related question, the setup will be done
with mirrorlist. See: newbie-friendly. All you have to do then is to
activate the non-free and tainted repos, which is (as already written)
an "opt-in" task and can't be done by default.

--
wobo