[Mageia-discuss] New install - black screen after reboot - Acer eMachine e525

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Tue May 29 18:35:12 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 29 May 2012 09:22 my mailbox was graced by a message from Renaud
(Ron) Olgiati who wrote:

> Been asked to upgrade an Acer eMachines e525 laptop that up to now was
> running Mandrive 2009.1 without any problem
> Install goes well, but after rebooting the screen is black, I can hadrly
> discern the login window..

Found a work-around on an Unbubtu list:
one must add acpi_osi=Linux to the line under "title linux" in
/boot/grub/menu.lst

Only problem, that would make this rather difficult for a newbee, is that you
cannot do it in Mageia, since your screen is not showing; so out comes the
Mandriva LiveCD, boot, config, mount the Mageia / or /boot partition, vi
/boot/grub/menu.lst, save and reboot.

Only fly in the ointment, the Fn keys now work, but in reverse, v makes the
screen brighter, and ^ make it darker.

Should this be reported as a bug ? If so, how does one do it ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                          Il n y a pas d'étrangers,