[Mageia-discuss] New theme?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 3 13:37:05 CEST 2012

2012/6/3 Max Quarterpleen <bogusman222 at gmail.com>:
>> What kind of theme (wallpaper, icons, plymouth, splash screen, window
>> decorator, colors)?
>

> Yes.
> But specifically a desktop theme. Window decorater, colors.
> Icons we're going to work on separately. Probably using application-original
> icons, but new icons for the drakxtools applications.
> Wallpaper will probably be a contest again, but we'll have to think about
> the details a little better this time...
> Splash screen and Plymouth will just be an extension of the wallpaper, like
> we did with Mga2.
>

>> If it is the window decorator, personally i prefer the every DE original
>> choices.
>

> I can understand that, but we are aiming for a unified look. Nothing will
> stop you from changing it, this will just be the default.
>

>> I think the distro is good to have its plymouth and splash screen , not
>> other modifications from upstream.
>>
>> Please let users enjoy each Desktop flavors.

Yes, this again is something related with individual taste.

Many other distributions try to change looks, even functions of the
original DE to have a unique desktop. But integrating the big 2 (KDE &
Gnome) into the distribution's own look and keep it as original as
possible and then make it look good together - this is also a
separator from those other distributions. A nice example:

At Berlin Linuxtag exhibition a visitor looked at Mageia 2 KDE (I did
a standard installation with nothing customized to my own preferences
yet). He played with it for a while, especially with the KDE
functions. Then he  told us that in his opinion this is the best
integration of KDE into a new distribution he has seen lately,
especially the combination of the KDE looks with out corporate colors.
The guy turned out to be the treasurer of the KDE project.

This is what I meant - establishing a reputation of leaving the
original as original as possible.
This should at least taken into account: Do we really want our own theme?

Of course there's nothing against our own theme as additionsl option.

--
wobo