[Mageia-discuss] Music player

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri Jun 15 15:40:28 CEST 2012

Le 2012-06-14 10:12, Doug Laidlaw a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:52:17 +0200
> Dimitrios Glentadakis<dglent at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Le 14 juin 2012 14:50, "Gary Montalbine"<gmontalbine at cox.net>  a
>> écrit :
>>>
>>> I was using Amarok as a player for my music files. After an upgrade
>> Mageia2 it would stop at each song in the folder. Had to continually
>> restart each song. Found Guayadeque in the repositories. Works great.
>> Thanks developers.
>>> Gary
>>
>> Hi Gary, from all players i have used i prefer clementine, you can
>> try it.
>>
> I suggested clementine in reply to a request, and was told that it is
> forked from an older version of Amarok.  Perhaps that is why it is so
> good??
>
> Doug.

Yup[1] -- a fork of Amarok 1.4. It was forked when Amarok was completely
rebuilt in anticipation of the newer KDE 4.x.x. People were not
satisfied with the direction the new Amarok was going to, were
frustrated with the temporary-loss of functionality as Amarok was being
re-built, and, they wanted all of the functionality of Amarok 1.4. It
works pretty well like Amarok but I find that the newer Amarok is nicer
and quite simply works best of the two. As for the complaints, they have
pretty well have all been addressed with the new Amarok.

Still, Amarok or Clementine are two good choice.

Another good choice is VLC which plays ALL types of files. It also has a
playlist window. It is not as "beautified" as Amarok but works without
any problems.

BTW ... my Amarok plays flawlessly, does not stop between tracks and I
have over 1400 tracks. It also does lyrics that some of my family
members use Amarok "Karaoke style", the Wiki pane is nice as also the
scrolling image pane.

BTW ... I am not involved in any part of Amarok. These are my opinions
based on the playability of Amarok. I also manage between 30-40 (as a
volunteer) Mandriva/Mageia boxes for other people/groups and have not
heard of any complaints of Amarok thus far for any of my Mageia setups.
My Mandriva setups are being migrated to Mageia2 as I service these in
my shop.

Cheers,

Marc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarok_%28software%29#Forks_and_variations