[Mageia-discuss] Problems with Local Mail

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Mon Jun 25 18:05:01 CEST 2012

On 06/25/2012 05:20 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
 > To be honest I don't recall ever hearing of movemail before this, so I
 > don't know where it comes from.

The answer from Jim is the essential thing - no need to mess around with
/var/spool/mailo/anne - Thunderbird can do all this for you, you just
need to create an additional Thunderbird account of type "Movemail". But
it may appear somewhat  devious to do this, Thunderbird playing
hide-and-seek with you:

Try to come to the "Account actions" tab in Thunderbird and, there, hit
the "Add other accounts" button. That gives you a radio button, one of
its choices beeing "Unix Mailspool (Movemail)". Once you are there, you
should be on safe ground to create the special Thunderbird "Movemail"
account (what Thunderbird calls an "account") that collects mail from
the Unix /var/spool/mail/anne.

Where Thunderbird stores the local folders for this account is a totally
independant issue, to set this up you proceed just as for ordinary
thunderbird accounts.

I use such an account all the time to collect the messages created
locally, for instance by msec - works great.

Juergen