[Mageia-discuss] Display saize in console

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 4 14:12:41 CEST 2013

On 04/04/2013 07:50 AM, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> When I Alt-Ctrl-Fx to go to a console, the characters are displayed in an
> illegibly small size.
> Same problem with the display during booting or shutdown.
>
> Is there a way to resize to consile display size ?

This is usually set by the "vga=" keyword in your kernel parms. Open
/boot/grub/menu.lst in an editor as root (or temporarily change it to
world-writable to make the change), and look for the "kernel" line
corresponding to your booted system.   Note the vga= value if there is
one, and either change it to or add "vga=788" to the end of the line
(don't include the quotes).  Save it, restore the permissions if needed,
and reboot, and you should see a difference. You may also be able to do
this in a more user-friendly way from the MCC "Boot" dialog.

You can probably google around to find the complete list of valid vga
values.