[Mageia-discuss] Evolution lost accounts after power mishap

Daniel mandriva at daik.se
Sat Feb 23 11:27:03 CET 2013

> Hello all,
> I've had a rather interesting experience today. I run a BIOS assisted
> software raid 1 for my system. So to Mageia it seems I have one drive.
> Anyway long story short, I lost one drive due to a cable problem. When I
> noticed (half an hour later or so) I re-seated the cable and started
> Mageia.
>
> Mageia starts up but is a bit confused over the filesystem. An fsck and
> we're back in business. When I log in I notice all my gnome-shell
> extensions are disabled, as is all other configuration I've done (like
> wallpaper). No bigge I go and fix that. However when I start Evolution
> it has lost all accounts. When I check the .local/share/evolution/mail
> everything is there, so no mails are lost, good.
>
> In lost+found I have a text file with all the account configuration, so
> it seems I just need to put it back in place, but I have no idea where
> this place is, can someone help me? If possible I would prefer to not
> re-
> create all accounts again.
>
> regards Daniel

Hello again,
I've sort of solved this, I found that I can re-load the settings for
Evolution from a backup (show just how important it is to take backups!)
by typing the following

gconftool-2 --load ./backup-restore-gconf.xml
where backup-restore-gconf.xml comes from the tgz file that Evolution
produces. The backup file I had was a bit on the old side in regards to
mails so I did not want to restore mail from it.

The textfile I had was in a slightly different format so I did not try to
fix it, as I had a backup that was recent enough. The mails stored on
disk were still present so everything was good after I issued the above
command. Hopefully this can help someone else that encounters the same
problem.

regards
Daniel