[Mageia-i18n] German home made problem

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:57:46 CET 2010

In the German team meeting we stumbled over a problem which may not
apply to many other languages, especially not to English: the
difference between "you" and "you" :)
Meaning the way to address the readers of Mageia website, either with
the friend-to-friend informal "Du" (French "tu") or with the formal
"Sie" (French "vous").

We looked at Debian as another community project, they are using the
formal adress on their German website, same with KDE and openSUSE.

My proposal (which reached a 5:2 result in a short poll of 7 meeting
participants) was:

1. On the website which is the official presentation of the
organisation use the formal approach.
2. In the wiki, which is the community environment, use the informal approach.

It may sound a small thing for foreigners but it is a question for
Germans. How does Mageia.org want to be seen from the outside. Pls
keep in mind that the official website will not be read only by
community people but also by people who do not belong to communities
or are not familiar with the informal way.

WDYT?

--
wobo