[Mageia-i18n] What is the "Enable OF Boot?"

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Apr 14 13:54:30 CEST 2011

Le mardi 12 avril 2011 à 21:10 +0300, Marek Laane a écrit :
> 2011/4/12 Dimitrios Glentadakis <dglent at gmail.com>
>
> > I dont know what is the "OF" for in this sentence :
> > "Enable OF Boot?"
> >
> > libDrakX
> > string # 36
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Dimitrios Glentadakis
> >

> Probably abbreviation of Open Firmware? At least some messages earlier there
> is Open Firmware...

Yup. Maybe we should change the string to be clearer.

OpenFirmware ( which act like BIOS on pc, to simplify
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Firmware ) is no longer used on most
modern computers. It was used by sparc ( still sold by Oracle I think ),
old macs ( ie, with ppc, no longer sold AFAIK ), etc.

And given we focus on x86 for now, and arm / mips later, you will likely
never see the string in practice ( at least for the next 3/4 years I
think ).

--
Michael Scherer