[Mageia-i18n] Meeting Thursday, February 3, 2011 + Alerts on upcoming tasks

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 2 04:48:12 CET 2011

2011/2/1 Catalin Florin RUSSEN <cfrussen at yahoo.co.uk>:

> As we say in my country, better later than never :)
> Unfortunately we're firstly aiming at the (former) Mandriva community and
> they're busy now with the MTP2011. It give them wings as far as I see and I
> share this joy with them.
> Being the second one isn't an easy task, but is doable.
>
> I'll translate as quick as possible and also post an announcement on MDV
> community.
> But why not to choose all the features of Web 2.0, like Facebook and Tweeter to
> create the buzz?
> It'll be nice to have also on YouTube a filmed demo with one of Mageia staff
> members installing and using the Alpha version.
>
> I'll install it on my laptop and use it in the train, when going to work, to
> impress people.
> It'll be nice to have T-shirts, badges and stickers too.  I'd also love a
> wallpaper to put it on my office desktop :)
>
> Everything is in marketing. But I think I'm getting a little off-topic here.
>
> Sure wobo, I'll do (ALL) that I can :)

All this will surely happen with one of the next releases - NOT with this one!

May be you missed it, but this release IS NOT FOR USE by normal users!
It is an ALPHA release, meaning, it is a developper release, testing
the main components.

What we will spread is not something like "Look what a fine distro we
have here!"

What we will spread is a signal that
 - Mageia has started their productive stage.
 - we try to keep our promises.
 - Mageia is not vaporware, it really exists.

Again: over all announcements will flash a red light: NOT FOR USE! We
do know that there will be a certain kind of users who will skip such
warnings and then try to flood us with "Why does $foo has such a
lpousy icon, why is $bar not working as in Mandriva", etc. The irony
is that there is no platform yet where they could flood us. :)

So, yes, we want to announce it but not with all the bells&whistles,
rather as a pure technical matter, aimed at developpers and
contributors, not for the common users.

This kind of warning must be included everywhere when we talk about
this release.

--
wobo